Day Tour in Khlong Toei
Every Sunday from 9am to 3pm
Price: US$ 62
ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE
A tourism project for social change at Khlong Toei Community is a project to foster mutual understandings within the community, and to promote a more accurate perception towards their lives.
From slum community to self-defined community, Khlong Toei is charming in it’s own way. It is a melting pot of people from all over the nation that have immigrated to the capital city seeking for better opportunities in life.
You will explore and gain a better understanding of the poverty challenges and the day-to-day life of the people of Khlong Toei. Also you will learn about the ‘Montessari’ education concept from Duangprateep Kindergarten ‘Roy Malai Roi Huajai Hai Chumchon’.
During the tour you will learn to make garland from Khlong Toei people. And also walk around to explore the community.
ATTENTION: Tour will be depart every Sunday, minimum 4 persons for this tour, it may not run if there are not enough people registered.
ITINERARY KHLONG TOEI
- 9.00 Meet at Duang Prateep Foundation, enjoy welcoming herb drinks from community
- 9.30 Explore Khlong Toei by walking from Log 1-2-3 to Log 4-5-6 and Moobaan Pattana 70 Rai Community. Let’s talk with the local sellers and explore their daily life here.
- 12.00 Lunch time
- 13.00 ‘Roy Malai Roi Huajai Hai Chumchon’ Learn to make Thai garlands from Khlong Toei people
- 14.00 Summarize the activity, try local snacks, and enjoy the interaction time with local people.
- 15.00 Finish the day and say your farewells.
- Local Guide
- English-speaking Local Alike guide
- Local lunch and snack
- Activities listed on the itinerary
- Equipment for workshops
- Personal expenses
- Repeat of any activities
- Additional meals
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE TAKING THE TOUR
I didn’t know nothing about Khlong Toei before and I was positive surprised by how people have to “fight ” everyday against so many things. Every single story, every single smile was so important for me, for making me understand how those people are strong and they just need more opportunities and help.
Everything all guides told us was very important to see the history (numbers, attitudes, things to do, etc), but I’ve learned more listing people from the community and knowing better this histories, they are the “behind the numbers”.
Definitely my favorite tour ever in Thailand, because it was about real people. I love the tour, I really liked how we walked without rush, stopping to listen people. Storytelling is powerful and touching, so just keep telling short cuts about people from the community.