Twice a month here at The Yard, we dedicate an evening to teaching guests how to make classic Thai dishes. During our last FREE cooking class, staff memberKring, taught our guests how to make Thailand’s most popular and beloved dish called Pad Kra Pao (ผัดกระเพราไก่) or Basil Stir Fry. You’ll often find it cooked with chicken (Pad Kra Pao Gai) or pork (Pad Kra Pao Moo). A runny fried egg can also be added on top.
Simple ingredients, quick to make and incredibly delicious; this dish is a staple of Thai food and enjoyed all over the globe.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Dried Chili
- Basil (Fresh local Sweet Basil)
- Long Green Beans
- Baby Corn
- Oyster Sauce
- Light Soy Sauce
- Vegetable Oil
- Chicken or Pork
- Jasmine Rice
1. Add dried chili and garlic in mortor & pestle. Grind hard for about 10 seconds. Cover top half with other hand to shield your face from getting chili in your eyes!
2. Heat pan with vegetable oil then add dried chili/garlic mixture. Keep the pan on a medium heat and stir often.
3. Add your choice of either sliced chicken or beef. Be sure to keep the pan moving to prevent burning. Cook until meat has a slight golden colour. If it starts to get dry, you can add in a splash of water.
4. Toss in half a handful of your favourite sliced vegetbales (or as desired). Cook for 2 minutes.
5. Use about a spoonful of soy sauce and dash of oyster sauce. These sauces are quite salty so don’t add excessively. Add just a pinch of sugar. Keep pan moving.
6. Lastly, turn off the heat and add a basil leaves. Basil cooks quickly so be careful not to over do it as they will wilt.
7. Prepare your plate of rice and add to the side. Enjoy!
***Bonus: Add a runny fried egg on top of the rice!
Enjoy a FREE cooking class with us during your stay next time!